Saturday, December 1, 2007

Introduction


When I was a mormon missionary, in between selling jesus door-to-door, we were supposed to do all kinds of things to keep us "spirichul". One of them was journal writing. I HATED journal writing. The idea was to write down a lot of faith promoting rumors, special urban legends, and "testimoney" building crap for your posterity. Things like the fact that you were hornier than a three balled tom-cat and that you were so bored you wanted to die were NOT to be written down. Rather the task was to write down the kind of lies that could convince you that you were happy. It took a long time and a lot of therapy to be able to journal in a way that was actually meaningful for me.

One day as I was looking at the leather bound journals that has accumulated over the years, I thought it might be time to step into the 21st century and take advantage of the blogosphere. I wrestled with my own feelings that blogging was inherently narcissistic and finally decided to jump in and see what happens.

Like my first attempts to journal my efforts were soon aborted. Then one day, I figured it might just be fun t allow myself a space to ramble and not give a rat's ass who might read it. So here I am...at least this time the major damage is only going to be that I annoy some electrons. That seems better than killing all those poor trees to make paper.

No comments: